The houses in Doughty Street were built between 1805- 1809. In April 1837 Catherine and Charles Dickens, with their three month year old son Charley, moved into 48 Doughty Street. They rented the house for £80 per annum for a three year lease. Dickens also rented a stable where he kept his horse, which according to his letters written during this period he rode frequently with his friends. While he was at Doughty Street he also bought a coach costing £125 for himself and his family.
After Dickens moved out in 1839 48 Doughty Street remained a residential home until the early 1900’s. From 1902 both number 48 and 49 were run as a boarding house run by several different owners until 1921.
This greeting card features not only Doughty Street, with clearly highlighted house of Dickens, but also other Victorian landmarks such as Foundling Hospital and Coldbath Fields Prison.
A6 greeting card with an envelope, blank inside.