Discover what everyday life was like for Charles Dickens and his family as middle-class Victorians. Handle real Victorian household objects as you explore their fascinating family home and learn more about Dickens’s passion for understanding and improving the lives of the Victorian poor. You will even ‘channel your own inner Dickens’ by writing a Dickens-inspired character creation using real quill pens and ink!
Our knowledgeable and enthusiastic educators encourage discussion and conversation throughout the tour, which will allow your experience to be shaped by your students' curiosity and contributions.
The Dickenses' Bedroom © Charles Dickens Museum
Optional ExtrasInformative and highly entertaining Dickens walk with expert Richard Jones; exploring London through Dickens’s eyes.
For more information click here.
- a study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066 (Victorian Britain)
- a study of an aspect of history or a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality.
- discussion of Victorian Britain and examination of original artefacts encourages students to identify similarities and differences between their own experiences and those living in Victorian Britain
- facilitated exploration of mystery objects allows students to exercise critical thinking and historical enquiry skills
- group discussion throughout the session allows students to further develop oracy and social learning skills.
- character creation activity allows pupils to exercise creative writing skills
Onsite – 2 hours. All workshops are integrated into interactive guided tours of the historic house.
Class of up to 30 students, Off-peak £250 (Jan-Oct), Peak £290 (Nov-Dec). Please enquire for smaller groups.
Booking forms and enquiries should be sent to: email@example.com
Download onsite education visit booking form
Download onsite education visit terms and conditions
Download onsite education visit visual story for schools
We can accommodate a maximum of 30 students per booking slot. We have the capacity to run two half day sessions onsite each day from 10:00 – 12:00 and 13:00-15:00. Please note that for the safety of your group we require a minimum adult-to-student ratio of 1:10 for each onsite booking.
Please be advised that full payment is required in order to confirm your booking. Amendments and cancellations must be made at least 21 days prior to your visit, after which no refund will be available.