Discover the life and career of Charles Dickens in this fascinating interactive and immersive tour of his family home including original artefacts and manuscripts. We will discuss the context in which Dickens was writing, his passion for social justice and the motivations behind his novels and journalism, exploring his relationship with his contemporary audiences as well as his continued relevance today. You will even ‘channel your own inner Dickens’ by writing a Dickens-inspired character creation using real quill pens and ink!
Our knowledgeable and enthusiastic educators encourage discussion and conversation throughout the tour which will allow your experience to be shaped by your students' curiosity and contributions. No prior knowledge of Dickens is needed to enjoy this tour and it is suitable for students who are new to Dickens as well as those who are studying a particular text.
The Dickenses' Bedroom © Charles Dickens Museum
- local history study (for local students)
- the study of an aspect or theme in British history that consolidates and extends pupils’ chronological knowledge from before 1066
- knowing the purpose, audience for and context of writing
- Facilitated exploration of artefacts and manuscripts allows students to exercise critical thinking and historical enquiry skills.
- Group discussion throughout the session allows students to exercise oracy and social learning skills.
- Character creation activity allows pupils to exercise creative writing skills
Informative and highly entertaining Dickens walk with expert Richard Jones; exploring London through Dickens’s eyes.
Onsite – 2 hours. All workshops are integrated into interactive guided tours of the historic house.
Up to 10 students, Off-peak £100 (Jan-Oct), Peak £125 (Nov-Dec)
Up to 20 students, Off-peak £150 (Jan-Oct), Peak £185 (Nov-Dec)
Up to 30 students, Off-peak £200 (Jan-Oct), Peak £250 (Nov-Dec)
Booking forms and enquiries should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We can accommodate a maximum of 30 students per booking slot. We have the capacity to run two half day sessions onsite each day from 10:00 – 12:00 and 13:00-15:00. Please note that for the safety of your group we require a minimum adult-to-student ratio of 1:10 for each onsite booking.
Please be advised that full payment is required in order to confirm your booking. Amendments and cancellations must be made at least 21 days prior to your visit, after which no refund will be available.